British Lunch

Victoria.Sponge.YumMy girlfriend’s nanny is so awesome when it comes to working with kids.  She and her husband are from the UK and I thought it’d be a nice gesture to make her family a “British Lunch” this past Sunday.  Her Dad and Mum are visiting from the UK as well and I thought I’d get some pretty good feedback from them on how well it turned out.

I found Jamie Oliver’s “Jamie’s Great Britain” cookbook (http://amzn.to/qFmHSo) and used that for inspiration and guidance.  The measurement for each recipe are in American Standard which help with the metric conversions I thought I’d need to do.  So, that gives the book a few stars to begin with.

The menu.

Empire Chicken, Superb Pork Loin, King of Mash : Irish Champ, Victoria Sponge, and Welsh Cakes

Everyone ate a lot, and although the desserts were chilled to keep them somewhat fresh, everyone appeared to enjoy the food and commented nicely.  We finished up dessert with a nice tawny port, very delish!

I was really happy to do this for someone that gives so much on a daily basis, I’m looking forward to doing something like this again sometime soon too, maybe if it’s even to serve a Victoria Sponge moments after taking it out of the oven.

So much yum!

oFc

 

Advertisements

Azure SDK and SLAB

Rosetta StoneRight before I skated out of the office to start my four-day Memorial Day weekend I jotted down a few notes to blog about which outlined what worked for me using the P&P Semantic Logging Application Block (SLAB), as well as a few other sticky points while I was trying to stand up couple Windows Azure roles.

It’s really easy to get tangled up with broken builds when you introduce an updated library/dependency into your projects.  And going backwards a few minor versions just feels wrong when you want to “ship” with the something you want to stay current as long as possible.  While NuGet was handy at keeping everything up to date, it did get in the way at times when I need to swap around a few bits.  On a side note, the Package Manager CLI makes removing and adding things a whiz!  I’m still a huge NuGet fan.

I started out with a 4.0 framework solution, then moved it to the 4.5 framework so I keep it at, or start at, 4.5.  There was nothing wrong with 4.0 until I started adding the dependencies in.  For example, the 2.0 Windows Azure (WA) Storage, Runtime, and Configuration bits I installed from the WA site (http://bit.ly/v5MF7m) install v2.0.5.1, and those assemblies ran on top of 4.0 just fine.  This got me through the bulk of the coding to stand the application up.

Then in a previous post I mentioned I wanted to add in some logging pieces and wanted to give SLAB (http://bit.ly/Vh3Umz) a go.  The sample code didn’t work with what I had on my box for some reason, which gave me a clue I might have some depedency issues coming at me with my code.  The P&P code was easy enough to read through but the namespaces had a few changes at RTW time that I needed to work around, and was expected.

In addition to this, I had to work around issues between WindowsAzure.Storage and the MS.Data.Edm, MS.Data.OData, and System.Spatial assemblies.  I started out satisfying the dependencies with using v5.0.2.0 for them, but *really* wanted to make the latest, v5.4, work, but most of the blog posts I read through confirmed v5.0.2.0 was the way to go.  So the final fall back to get everything happy was to use v5.2 for the Edm, OData, and Spatial assemblies.    Then I learned of the (v5.0.2.0) Edm, OData, and Spatial dependencies.

Inside the SLAB reference application, the console application project took a dependency on an earlier version of Edm, OData, and Spatial and I didn’t want to go that far back – stuff should just work, right?  And it finally did. The logging pieces weren’t throwing anything, but they weren’t working.  The table used to persist the logging entries wasn’t getting built (if it didn’t exist) inside local table storgae, so nothing was being logged.

The answer was to use the Edm, OData, and Spatial v5.2.0.0 assemblies. Bingo!  Everything was firing, and all my tests were still passing so it was very green day once I got all of the zen sorted out in my assembly references.

Below is a list of assemblies with their dependencies sans the ones that come OOTB; hopefully this can help someone bumping into this as well.

HTH / oFc

WebRole (MVC4) Project

  • Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common v6.0
  • Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging v6.0
  • Microsoft.Practices.Unity v3.0
  • Microsoft.Practices.Unity.Configuration v3.0
  • Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage v2.0.0.0
  • Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient v1.7.0.0
  • Unity.MVC4 v.1.1.0.0

WorkRole Project

  • Microsoft.Practices.Unity v3.0
  • Microsoft.Practices.Unity.Configuration v3.0
  • Microsoft.Data.Edm v5.2.0.0
  • Microsoft.Data.OData v5.2.0.0
  • System.Spacial v5.2.0.0
  • Microsoft.ServiceBus v1.7
  • Microsoft WindowsAzure.Configuration v1.8
  • Microsoft WindowsAzure.Runtime v1.8
  • Microsoft WindowsAzure.Storage v1.8
  • Microsoft WindowsAzure.StorageClient v1.7

Infrastructure Project

  • Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.SemanticLogging  v1.0
  • Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.SemanticLogging.WindowsAzure  v1.0
  • Microsoft.ServiceBus v1.7
  • Microsoft WindowsAzure.Configuration v1.7
  • Microsoft WindowsAzure.Runtime v1.7
  • Microsoft WindowsAzure.Storage v1.7
  • Microsoft.ServiceBus v1.7